Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Whole New World.

So besides considering a favorite Disney character of mine or someone who has incredible falsetto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-CS2v8wcc) the phrase a New World and also new Worldviews has got me thinking...

Throughout our lecture I couldn’t help but think about my favorite P-word I eever learned in a beginning computer class: Paradigm. Paradigms, like tech-tonic plates, tend to shift. A paradigm is defined as an example that serves as a pattern or model for something, especially one that forms the basis of a methodology or theory. For example, society longed believed that the sun revolved around the earth (a geocentric view). That paradigm, or way of thinking, changed or shifted when it was discovered and proven that the earth actually revolves around the sun (a helio-centric view).

The rate at which paradigms shift now is astronomical. Luxuries of the past have become everyday commodities. It may now sound very strange to my kids when I’ll tell them that I didn’t have a cell-phone until I was 21.

The rapid development of technology has caused many paradigms to shift: from education, science, communication, to how we perceive and learn about the world. Wikipedia enumerates a few such changes. I feel the key to success in navigating the magic carpet of changes we constantly experience is to be willing to open to new ideas, products, and ways of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment